About Our School
“Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man.” – the search for this inner perfection has always been the guiding force behind the learned and revered Sannyasis of Ramakrishna Mission to establish schools in various parts of Bengal to materialize Swami Vivekananda’s Concept of Man making and Character building education. It was this visionary zeal on the part of the revered monks of the Belur Math and the enthusiasm and co-operation of people of Malda that led to the foundation of a Ramakrishna Mission School in such an educationally backward district like Malda. Thus it was the auspicious arrival of Swami Parashibanandaji Maharaj at Malda which marked the establishment of today’s renowned Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Vidyamandir, a pioneer institution of North Bengal today.
Swami Parashibananadaji Maharaj who came to Malda Ashrama way back in 1942 felt the need of setting up a school in the region. So it was his initiative and tireless effort backed by the active support of local people for which within 2 years of his arrival RKMVV Mandir came into being i.e. in 1944 . Initially it was a night school set up in a small corner inside the Ashrama campus with a few students.At the beginning it was named “Vivekananda Vidyamandir “. The epithet “Ramakrishna Mission “was added to the name in 1980. The school consisted of only a single room made of fence separated in two compartments. It was situated in the eastern part of the ashrama. Late Abani Bhushan Jha was the first head master of the Primary Section while Late Haribangsha Jha , Late Hirendra Lochan Sharma, Lalit Mohan Chakraborty , Late Badrinath Das, Late Indra Bhushan Jha, were some of the other teachers. It was mainly due to their devotion, sacrifice, and selfless service that within a few years of its establishment Vivekananda Vidyamandir began to have its impact in the society. Keeping in mind Swamiji’s concept man making education Parashivanandaji and the dedicated teachers collected students from the backward section of the society to uplift them by spreading the light of education.
When the school was upgraded to secondary status late Mohini Mohan Sanyal was the first headmaster while Late Kamalesh Chakraborty was the assistant headmaster. Other teaching staff included Late Hemanta Kr Paul, Late Birendra Nath Das, Late Naliniranjan Dutta, Late Prabir Chandra Chakraborty, Late Reboti Nath Das, Late Anath Bandhu Jha, Late Abani Kanta Mojumdar, Late Rajrakhal Tarafdar, Late Jatindradulal Dutta, Late Satish Ch Pal, Late Sushital Dhar, Late Haranath Nath, Late Rebotinath Das etc. All of them were humble, sincere and devoted to the cause. They not only taught the students but also set an example of ideal teachership through their discipline, honesty love and behavior. They are the strong foundation pillars upon which the strong base of this institution was created.
In 1954 the first batch of the school appeared in school final examination and all of them passed with flying colours. This was certainly an occasion of extreme happiness and glory. The foundation Day of the school , Birth anniversary of Thakur Sri Sri Ramakrishna Dev, Swami Vivekananda’s birth day which is National Youth Day, Netaji’s birth day, Republic day were celebrated with great respect and tremendous enthusiasm. This tradition is still going on. The prize distribution ceremony was held under the lichi tree in the asharama campus. All the teachers especially Late Abani Kanta Majumdar, Late Rajrakhal Tarafdar, Late Kamalesh Chakraborty, took great initiative to make the ceremony worth remembering. In the early period there was no particular school dress. Many of the students could not afford to have shoes. They used to attend school bare footed. Possibly in the early years of 1960, some of the classes were shifted to the new building on the opposite side of the road. Presently the entire school building along with the gorgeous HS block is situated on this side. The school was upgraded to an HS school in 2003. The tireless effort of Swami Sumanasanandaji Maharaj, the then headmaster of this school and Swami Divyanandaji, the then secretary, was instrumental in achieving this. The gorgeous and updated HS block of the school with all the modern facilities is also a result of the tremendous effort and initiative of Swami SumanasanandaJi Maharaj.
The school observed its golden jubilee celebration in 1994 through various academic, sports and cultural activities. The 4 day long cultural programme was really an occasion to remember for years. It is now on the verge of its Platinum Jubilee which will start from 2019.
In the seven decades, the institution has risen from the level of back benchers' school to the status of one of the most elite schools of North Bengal. Thanks largely to the vision, idealism and guidance on the part of the Revered Sannyasins of the asharama and dedication, discipline and sacrifice on the part of the teachers who really work on dust. The seed sown by revered swami Parashibanandaji Maharaj, has grown up in course of time bit by bit into a large tree.